How AI is Transforming the Cyber Security Landscape
Artificial Intelligence is a branch of science that can simulate human intelligence. AI is nothing but algorithms with certain sets of rules and AI systems have the ability to learn from the iteration of machine learning algorithms are fed to the system and makes the machine learning get better at doing their specified tasks without any external interference.
Artificial Intelligence (machine learning) has the capability to advance security as well as data-safety solutions by processing analytic insights.
In today’s time we have to scrutinize attacks from multiple sources viz. network traffic, application & transactional information, customer data, social media data, cloud information and many more which can be quite cumbersome and time consuming; AI facilitates / helps to rapidly examine this large amount of information by applying advanced math on huge scale information needed to mitigate the threats.
Artificial intelligence (AI) is a much needed move for thwarting malicious attackers and cyber related threats.
- Cyber threats are increasing rapidly day-by-day. Hackers and attackers are required to succeed only once, whereas defenders have to guard ever-growing attack surface 24×7 which is beyond the capability of humans to protect systems from such brute force attacks.
- It is practically impossible and very expensive as it will take hundreds of individuals to drill and investigate all modern cyber threats and take remedial action to prevent any sabotage. Artificial Intelligence oriented technologies can perform quick mathematical calculations and provides the major benefit for cyber security and will facilitate in bridging this gap by providing high-level detection and immediate response.
- Artificial Intelligence gives the flexibility to rapidly examine a large amount of information by applying advanced math on huge scale information needed to mitigate threats.
- Humans while handling massive amounts of data can be fault-prone because of various factors viz. boredom or various distractions whereas Machines can work on the same data-set again and again and can conduct routine and repetitive tasks a lot quicker with extra efficiency.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) Augmentation
Artificial Intelligence may not identify between a real or simulated attack but AI can definitely fasten the detection process by the augmentation of human analyst potential.
Below are some technical methods of human skill augmentation through AI:
- Triaging: AI driven techniques will be applied to enhance human analysis. AI will implement machine learning processes of historical patterns and data visualization to filter out the pertinent alerts instantly and provide the triaged and enhanced alerts for human analysts to carry the investigation further.
- Threat Hunting: AI is highly advantageous as it looks for patterns and various anomalies though the entire data and provides the outcome to human analysts for further investigation.
- Threat Anticipation: AI enhances human potential in threat anticipation and secures its customers by alerting them as soon as any anomaly is noticed in the network.
- Incident Response: AI helps in immediate incident response when an alert is raised for any incident followed by isolating the network to stop the spread, recovering the impacted systems, looking for the source of attack and enhancing security framework for any such similar attacks.
Different Types of Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Intelligence can be classified based on its complexity to replicate human intelligence. Below are the different types of AI :
- Artificial Narrow Intelligence (ANI): Artificial Narrow Intelligence (ANI) is also known as Narrow AI or Weak AI. This AI is best suited for simulation with constrained parameters but is goal-oriented and performs specified tasks e.g. face recognition, voice assistant etc.
- Artificial General Intelligence (AGI): Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) is also known as Deep AI or Strong AI. It is a conceptual idea where AI can mimic human intelligence and has the capability to learn from its iterative tasks.
- Artificial Superintelligence (ASI): Artificial Superintelligence (ASI) is a wholly hypothetical situation where machines can become completely self-aware and surpasses the likes of human intelligence.
March 17, 2023
March 07, 2023
March 06, 2023